Julian Leeser MP, Federal Member for Berowra, has presented 13 young athletes with $500 grants as part of the Federal Government’s Local Sporting Champions program.
The Local Sporting Champions program provides successful applicants with $500 that can be put towards the cost of travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment when competing in recognised competitions.
Many of Berowra’s Local Sporting Champions gathered for a celebratory afternoon tea, where they shared stories of success.
Among the recipients of the $500 grant present at the celebratory commemorations were:
- Rashil Jetley from West Pennant Hills – Grand Finalist for Hockey at the Pacific School Games
- Belinda Scott from Hornsby Heights – Cross Country champion, placing 1st in the 800 metres at the School Sports Australia Cross Country Championships
- Sean Wang from Hornsby – Tennis star and division winner at the Bruce Cup (Primary School Nationals) in Shepparton, Victoria
- Holly Saunders from Hornsby Heights – Australian All Schools Track & Field competitor in multiple events. Holly hopes to compete in the Paralympics one day and is a current World Record Holder for T35 Long Jump at the AIS Athletics Grand Prix with a jump of 2.66 metres
- Gisele Petalio Conte from Asquith – Part of the Softball Championship-winning team at the Pacific School Games
- Samantha Brown from Cherrybrook – 6th place in Steeplechase at the 2017 Australian All Schools Championships
- Blake Grainger from Cherrybrook – 4th in his age division for Power Tumbling at the World Age Group Championships in Bulgaria
- Rebecca Hancock from Kenthurst – International 420 Class World Championship sailing competitor in multiple races
- Hafiz Zreika from Thornleigh – Shot Put competitor at the Pacific School Games
Mr Leeser said he was thrilled to support many of Berowra’s best sporting stars. “Our local sporting champions are so deserving of our support,” Mr Leeser said.
“I was pleased to present $500 grants to Berowra’s brilliant young athletes to help them strive for further success.”
“From Cherrybrook to Hornsby, it is clear Berowra is home to exceptional and excellent sporting talent. I am proud to play a part in promoting our sporting stars of tomorrow.”
If you are or know of a local sporting champion, you are able to apply for the grant at https://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/grants_and_funding/local_sporting_champions