Julian Leeser MP, Federal Member for Berowra, has presented eight young athletes with $500 grants as part of the Federal Government’s Local Sporting Champions program.
The Local Sporting Champions program provides successful applicants with $500 that can be put towards the cost of travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment when competing in recognised competitions.
Four of Berowra’s Local Sporting Champions gathered for a celebratory afternoon tea, where they shared stories of success.
Among the recipients of the $500 grant present at the celebratory commemorations were:
- Eliza Harvey – Athletic Champion competing in the 800m and 400m disciplines. Eliza was previously the U16 800m NSW State Champion and runner up in the 400m
- Kelly Xu – Badminton star who is preparing to travel to New Zealand for the Australasian U17 Championships later this April
- Zane Newton – National Athletics competitor in the 100m and 200m divisions
- Kaea Bidois – Star swimmer competing in 50m Freestyle. Kaea has won 5 Gold Medals at the Pacific School Games and holds Multiple State Age Titles
Among those unable to attend the afternoon tea but grateful for their grants were:
- Wenhan Shen – National fencing competitor
- Imogen Florian – Gymnastics World Age Champions competitor in individual trampoline and synchronised trampoline
- Nicholas Morakeas – NSW Representative for Soccer at the Pacific School Games
- Aaron Wartmann – State and National competitor in Swimming
Mr Leeser said it great to hear that the current Commonwealth Games was a source of inspiration for Berowra’s brilliant athletes.
“We’ve all been following Australia’s remarkable results at the Commonwealth Games, and I’m pleased to say that the future is bright based on the talent on offer in Berowra,” Mr Leeser said.
“Since elected, I’ve given more than $35,000 to many of Berowra’s best sporting stars to help them strive for further success.”
If you are or know of a local sporting champion, you are able to apply for the grant at https://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/grants_and_funding/local_sporting_champions